Cucumber + Wakame Salad with Creamy Ginger Dressing
makes 2 serving
This recipe is refreshing, gorgeous, + easy. It acts as a great, nutrient-dense base for any dish you can top with neutral proteins like salmon, shrimp, chicken, cod- anything equally light.
1. For the dressing: place the onion, water, lime juice, ginger, salt and half the avocado in a blender- blend until pureed. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, for the salad: Place wakame into a bowl + pour warm water to completely cover cover it- let it soak up a lot of water. It takes about 15 minutes to rehydrate.
3. Slice 1 medium English cucumber into thin slices. You can use a knife, mandolin, or a spiralizer.
Mix 1 tsp sea salt with the sliced cucumbers. Let it rest in a bowl for about 10 minutes.
4. Combine rice vinegar, maple syrup, amines, + sesame oil in a bowl.
5. Squeeze out the excess cucumber juice, and strain away excess water from the rehydrated wakame.
6. Place strained cucumber and wakame in a bowl, pour the dressing over, and garnish with black and white sesame seeds. Add in the edamame, radish, scallions, ginger, diced avocado – set aside.
7. OPTIONAL: Spiralize the daikon + carrot and add into the bowl.
8. OPTIONAL: When ready to serve; soft-boil the eggs or fry in a skillet.
9. Drizzle with the ginger dressing.
How to make
For the Creamy Ginger Dressing:
3/4 cup water
1 green onion
2 tsp lime juice
2 TB pickled ginger, more to serve on top
1 avocado; 1/2 for the dressing | other half for on top
For the Cucumber-Wakame Salad:
1/2 cup dehydrated wakame
1 English cucumber, sliced
3 TB rice vinegar
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 TB maple syrup
1/4 tsp Bragg’s or coconut aminos
1 tsp black sesame seeds
1 tsp white sesame seeds
1/2 cup edamame, shelled
1/2 cup watermelon radish, thinly sliced
OPTIONAL: 1 cup spiraled daikon + carrot noodles
OPTIONAL: 4 eggs, soft-boiled
1/2 avocado, diced
2 TB scallions, sliced
Handful of pickled ginger